Town of Beersheeba Springs | City Charter

Incorporated in 1839 as a summer resort.  The town and the spring were named for Beersheba Porter Cain, the woman who discovered the chalybeate spring 1833.  The acquisition of the property in 1854 by Colonel John Armfield, a Louisiana slave trader, ushered in a period of intense development that gave the mid-nineteenth century cottage community its present flavor and layout.  He built a new luxurious hotel that was constructed, along with the cabins and grounds, to accommodate four hundred guests.  During the civil war, the Beersheba Springs Hotel sold to the Northern investorsThough the resort reopened in the 1870s, it never recaptured its former glory. The United Methodist Church acquired the Beersheba Springs hotel in 1941, to use it for assembly and summer camp. In 1980, the historic district of the town was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. 

Beersheba Springs Town Hall
P O Box 546
Beersheba Springs, TN 37305
(931) 692-3508

Beersheba Public Library
19683 SR 56
(931) 692-3029

Beersheba Springs Fire and Rescue
17967 SR 56
(931) 692-3508

Grundy County Convenience Center
Household trash is accepted
17943 SR 56
(931) 692-4272 

Utility Providers:

Public Water

Big Creek Utility District
1606 Main St, Altamont
(931) 692-2505

Telephone and Cable

Ben Lomand Telephone Cooperative, Inc.
67 Main St
Tracy City
(931) 592-2121

Charter Communications


Sequatchie Valley Electric Cooperative
14002 US 41, Tracy City
(931) 592-2511

Point of Interest

Beersheba Point of Interest
Stone Door Park

Stone Door and Salvage Gulf Natural Area

Beersheba Springs Mountain Laurel Coffee House
19592 SR 56
Beersheba Springs
(931) 692-2229

Eagle Mountain Books
1288 Myers Town Rd
Beersheba Springs
(931) 692-5300



Adams Edgeworth Inn
Monteagle, TN

American Eage Inn
(931) 924-8880
Monteagle, TN

Tennessee Getaways
(877) 333-3335
Monteagle, TN



P.O. Box 177 Altamont, TN 37301 | (931) 692-3718
Local Government Corporation | Email the Webmaster